Monday, October 17, 2005

A profound prayer

I'd give this an attribution if I could trace it. Thanks to Linda for the forward!

(Non-Catholics, this is a litany, which means certain response lines, like "Lord, Jesus, free me!" are repeated after every line, even if they're not repeated in print -- i.e., "... loved ..... Lord Jesus, free me!")

LITANY OF HUMILTY


Jesus, meek and humble of heart! Hear me!
From the desire of being:
esteemed..... Lord, Jesus, free me!
loved.....
acclaimed.....
honored.....
praised.....
preferred.....
consulted.....
approved.....
valued.....

From the fear of being:
humbled..... Lord, Jesus, free me!
despised.....
dismissed.....
rejected.....
defamed.....
forgotten.....
ridiculed.....
wronged.....
suspected.....

From resenting that my opinion is not followed,.....
Lord, Jesus, free me!

That others:
will be loved more than I,..... Lord Jesus make this my prayer!
will be more esteemed than I.....
will increase in the opinion of the world while I diminish.....
will be chosen while I am set aside.....
will be praised while I am overlooked.....
will be preferred to me in everything.....

Let us pray:
Lord Jesus, though you were God, you humbled yourself to the extreme of dying on a cross, to set an enduring example to the shame of my arrogance and vanity. Help me to learn your example and put it into practice so that, by humbling myself in accordance with my lowliness here on earth, you can lift me up to rejoice in you forever in heaven.
Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this version of the Litany of Humility, Laura. The prayer appended at the end nicley completes the litany. I believe this is essentially the way it is prayed at the houses of formation of the Legionaries of Christ.