Saturday, May 06, 2006

Spring, and young man's fancy turns to thoughts of love...

even non-human males.

It's spring, and my dear, devoted Bubba is back to bringing me love tokens. Last year his offerings included several little lizards (skinks), a dead mockingbird, a small rat, a dying baby bunny, and a live! squirrel.

This morning a few minutes before 4:00 a.m., his meowing woke me up from a bizarre dream I was glad to be awakened from. I thought he was asking to be let out -- it was raining heavily and threatening to storm when we went to bed at 10:30. But when I staggered to the back hall and opened the door, he never came to me.

Then it hit me... that soft little gutteral "meow..." I turned on my lamp and rolled over to see him reaching his paw under a shirt that had fallen on the floor. I lifted the shirt and... it was a baby mouse. He grabbed it with his front paws, looked up at me and said, "Meoaow" again, but just at that moment the mouse jumped out of his hands and darted up under the bed.

All this winter, I've not seen a sign of a mouse in this trailer, and what does that stinkin' cat bring me? A MOUSE.

Which is why I'm up and at the computer at 5:30 on a Saturday morning. grrrrrr.....

No comments: