Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A worthy remembrance.

I was here. I missed seeing the black Catholics I'd gone to high school with - didn't know they were Catholic until I became one. The community of Our Lady of Victory was a powerful one, laid down before I was old enough to know it -

I suspect Bishop Waters was a bit premature in merging the two parishes; after all, in 1963 even our local schools had not yet adopted "Freedom of Choice," the first step toward complete integration. It must have been very difficult and painful for this community in West Southern Pines to lose their center and their unique identity.

Prayers were offered for the souls who have died since leaving the Church and for the reconciliation of their families to Mother Church, on Sunday. It really was a very moving event.

No comments: